With a proud legacy dating to 1938, it has taken seven decades of quiet achievement in the transport game to create today’s H.W. Richardson Group (HWR). Formed by Bill Richardson (Harold William Richardson), and to this day is still a family-owned business, based in Invercargill. Bill is survived by his wife, Shona Richardson, and daughter, Joc O’Donnell, who both sit as Board Directors. HWR is made up of 62 companies, with over 1750 valued employees, and a staggering investment in heavy vehicles, trailers and ancillary gear in locations across Australia and New Zealand.
HWR aspires to game changing transport through its “great gear, great people and great mates” and now operates in 6 industry sectors:
In New Zealand HWR provides service to the petroleum markets through several businesses. Allied Petroleum is national bulk fuel distributor, it also operates a fast growing fuel stop network including petrol stations and truck stops, and offers fuel card solutions to the transport industry. Sister company Allied Lubricants is the authorised distributor of Mobil Oil and greases throughout New Zealand. Finally, HWR is a joint venture partner with Wealleans Allied Petroleum, a fuel distributor operating in the Central North Island of New Zealand.
In Australia, alongside Southern Cross Lubes, HWR owns Petrogas. Petrogas is a bulk fuel distribution business that has for years provided premium service to customers in and around the Melbourne metropolitan area. Petrogas continues to grow strongly, and recently expanded its transport operations so as to provide a regional fuel delivery service to areas of Victoria.
HWR’s first venture into ready mix concrete was made with the acquisition of Allied Concrete Ltd in 1976. It consisted of two plants; Invercargill and Gore in New Zealand. After growing north from Southland, in 1989 Allied Concrete entered the North Island in a joint venture with Milburn Cement (now Holcim). Today, the concrete operation is spread across 50 plants throughout New Zealand with the country’s most modern and efficient mixer fleet.
Entering the civil contracting market in 1996, HWR purchased a business by the name of SouthRoads. Although a major diversification, road maintenance and construction had a lot of synergies with the other companies within the HWR Group. This contracting business arm of HWR now covers Southland, Otago and South Canterbury (New Zealand).
HWR’s presence in the transport sector covers a vast area of New Zealand’s North and South Islands in both rural and specialised transport. The HWR Group’s rural transportation businesses is a collection of many provincial companies; all joint ventures and covering the regions between Southland to Canterbury, New Zealand. Recently HWR invested in Farmers Transport, a large livestock cartage business operating in the North Island.
Specialised transport is also made up individual companies, all 100% owned by HWR, with expertise in bulk materials cartage (in particular cement and aggregates). Spread across the length of New Zealand.
HWR has a joint venture interests in the following New Zealand quarrying businesses: Southern Aggregates (operating two quarries ‘Stoney Creek’ in Balclutha and ‘Greenhills’ near Bluff) and Rangitikei Aggregates (near Marton).
Fern Hill Limeworks Ltd, located near Winton is fully owned by HWR subsidiary. This certified organic quarry produces quality lime, and offers a wide range of fertilisers for Southland farms.
In 2006, HWR purchased Bond Contracts who are contracted by the New Zealand local councils of Southland to service its curb-side waste needs. Allied Bins based in Christchurch was established in 2012, followed by the purchase of Joe’s Bins in 2014. In 2015, HWR completed the purchase of its joint venture partner's shares in Metalman, a scrap metal business operating in many main centres across with New Zealand.
For more information about HWR, www.hwr.co.nz